11.06.2014

GEAR REVIEW: Pressurized Hydration Pack for Hiking & Backpacking by Geigerrig #HellHikeAndRaft - Xmas Gift Gear

Geigerrig Hydration Pack at our campsite the first night on Shelf Lake, Seven Devil's Wilderness.

Are you ready? ‘Cause this month is going to be all about GEAR.

Because Christmas is around the corner and lord knows we all need help figuring out what to get our Outdoorsy husbands, friends, kids and relatives….. fasten your seatbelts!

GEGERRIG HYDRATION ENGINE – PRESSURIZED HYDRATION PACK, 2 LITER, 1st GENERATION

Those are a lot of fancy words that sound so cool for saying --- there’s bladder of water that you put in your backpack and then pump up to your mouth through a tube.

We were lucky enough to have these hydration bladders to test out for our Hell Hike And Raft trip to Idaho. Instead of bringing water bottles and a separate water filter to then pump into my water bottles, I grabbed this bladder – bought the filter that attaches into the system – and actually found it a simple, convenient system once I got used to how it works.

How it Works:
Helpful, albeit long, video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXVmyF0Vgnk
Basic info is:
- attach the filter to the bladder line and the bite line
- fill the bladder with water
- pump up the bladder with the bulb on one tube
- bite on the other tube for the flow of the water


filter
bulb














bite valve
valve from bladder










Specifications You Want to Know:
Weight - .55 lbs
Length - 12”
Width -  7”
BPA Free, Pthalate Free
Dishwasher safe
Wide mouth
Slide top
Quick release valves
Filter in the system (In Line Crypto Filter)

Pros:
- I literally was able to scoop water from the lake and river into the pack and drink directly through the tube because of the built in water filter instead of having to pre-filter the water.
- Wide mouth opening to the bladder makes for easy, quick pouring of water into bladder. If you’ve dealt with smaller openings in bladders before, you’ll see this makes a nice difference.
- The system allows me to pump the water so it has pressure to flow into my mouth, rather than having to suck hard to get water. I didn’t have to work for my water.


Cons:
- Felt a little like an octopus with tubes flying everywhere. Photos of me back that up.
- When you pressurize the bladder, it gets fuller in your pack, and takes up more space.
- I over pressurized the bladder one time with the pump and the pump flew off of the tube like a NASA rocket launch, almost taking out my hiking buddy’s eye behind me.
- Got the line kinked inside my backpack, so careful placement is key. This apparently is a 1st Generation problem and they have fixed it by changing the direction of the bladder valve in the 2nd Generation.
- I had to buy the filter separately. Would like it better if it came with a filter. So many parts!

Final Feedback:
I was uncertain heading out into the Hell’s Canyon Wilderness in Idaho if this contraption was going to keep me easily hydrated for the trip versus a simple water bottle. But, I grew to really like it once I got used to it’s quirks and parts.

Have been using it back home in the Golden Gate National Recreation area trails for bigger hikes and continue to find it useful and convenient with it’s built in water filter.

Would definitely recommend for bigger hikes as a trustworthy, easy once you get used to it, water source for backpacking and hiking.

Cost and Where Can you Find it?
@ $40-$48
the filter: Sport Chalet

-OutdoorsyMama

Disclaimer: Geigerrig is a sponsor of Hell Hike And Raft and provided us the hydration engines for testing. All opinions are my own and reviews are at my own discretion. 

Read the #HHAR Trail Story here:




2 comments:

  1. Which way does the bladder valve go on the 2nd generation? How do I know which generation I have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which way does the bladder valve point on the 2nd generation? How do I know which version I have?

    ReplyDelete