5.15.2014

Kick-Arse HIKER'S SALAD -- Easy, Delicious & Gets You Ready for a Day on the Trail


I call this my Kick Arse Hiker's Salad. 

Why?

Because after eating it I feel like I can go all day. It makes me feel good and it sustains me as I head out for a day on the trail or a day in the trenches with the kids. 

Super simple. Super healthy*. Super easy. I am eating a version of this almost every day now for an early lunch. Enjoy!

Kick-Arse HIKER'S SALAD Recipe

Ingredients  
Hinode brown rice - Calrose medium grain* 
Baby arugula 
Garbanzo beans - chickpeas
Dried cranberries
Extra virgin olive oil
Soy sauce
Vinaigrette dressing

The key to this salad is the rice. This brand has rocked it for me. Of course, feel free to play with other brands.

Directions
If possible, make fresh rice so that it is hot when you are ready to eat your salad. Take a large scoop of the fresh or re-heated rice and put it at the bottom of your plate/salad bowl. Having the rice hot is crucial to this salad! 

Drizzle small amount of the olive oil and soy sauce over the heated rice.

Take a large handful of baby arugula and put on-top of the rice. Pour a scoop of garbanzo beans onto the arugula. Sprinkle with a small amount of dried cranberries.

Drizzle more soy onto the arugula and add a small drizzle of your favorite vinaigrette. One of my faves is Girard's Champagne dressing that's carried in most supermarkets.

Boom - done!

You can substitute or add. Add grilled salmon or chicken. Add baby kale. Add raisins. And all quantities at your own discretion. 

*I am not a nutritionist, so make sure you do your homework for what's right for you. And enjoy! Love it, hate it? Let me know.

-Outdoorsy Mama
"Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein

Other interesting food info:


No comments:

Post a Comment